Virtual naturalization ceremonies amid the COVID-19 crisis are not feasible as thousands of applications remain pending, a spokesman for the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) said Wednesday.

Rescheduling naturalization ceremonies is a “top priority as we enter our phased reopening” but virtual ceremonies present “logistical challenges” and security concerns, the spokesman told The New York Times. Limited ceremonies took place last month with the necessary safety measures, the paper noted.

Before COVID-19, roughly 63,000 applicants became citizens every month, the Times reports. As social distancing measures were implemented across the country, USCIS policies to ensure safety halted all in-person ceremonies, preventing applicants from achieving full citizenship.

With the general election only months away, the backlog of potential voters could likely affect election outcomes in key battleground states like Pennsylvania and Florida, especially as naturalized citizens make up an increasing portion of the electorate.

The statement from USCIS came after President Donald Trump reportedly considered suspending the issuing of foreign work visas as the pandemic draws on.

The steep drop in applications for citizenship during COVID-19 has nearly bankrupted the agency according to the Times. As a result they requested $1.2 billion from Congress to remain operational.

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected]

Shawn founded Guard The Constitution to prosecute the important effort of preventing the deceptive Article V convention effort to re-write our Constitution. Over time, it became obvious that coordinating patriots in efforts to take our government back were possible, important, and a priority.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This